Sunday, December 7, 2008

Worship Leading: Taking your audience on a journey WITH you.

Just recently I've been given the privilege of helping lead worship on Sunday mornings - so far, this has been an amazing experience, and it's only just begun.
I would like to share with you what I'm learning on this journey of becoming a well-rounded worship leader:

1. Taking your audience on a journey "with" you:
One area I've really had to grow in (and still have room to grow in) is opening my eyes and connecting with the audience. Before People's Church, I'd never even thought about this, and it's definitely not something that came natural at first. Not at all. In fact, I've always been the type to get really nervous just before singing. So for me, there's nothing more comforting than to just close my eyes, close everyone else out, and just pretend like it's just me and God. That usually always helps - unfortunately, the second I close my eyes, and decide to make it my worship time, I'm closing everyone else off and sending the message, "Here. Watch me worship and watch me on my journey with the Lord". Rather, the message I need to be sending is, "Here. Come with me and let's take this journey together." Brian Rush, the Programming Director at our church, is the one who gave me this nugget of wisdom, and it's something that has not only challenged me in the ways that I lead, but also in the way that I perceive my audience. They're not just spectators, and they're definitely not there to listen to me sing. They're my brothers, my sisters, my friends, and they're there because they're seeking. Seeking more of God and more of His presence. I pray that as I grow, I can learn to "lead" others into His presence in such a way that they know we're all in this journey together.

In my next blog, I'll share how I'm learning to be "a leader others would want to follow".

No comments: