Saturday, October 24, 2009

Guy Fieri's Bacon Tomato Pasta


If you like bacon, and you like pasta, you're going to love this dish! One of the reason's I love watching Guy's show on the Food Network is because everything he makes is always a little bit on the naughty side, and always rich and full of flavor. Try out this recipe, and I promise you'll love it =) Now I do make a few small adjustments to this recipe when I make it, so I made some small side notes if you want to try it my way. Either way, this dish is de-lish!

Bacon Tomato Pasta

Ingredients

2 tablespoons kosher salt
16 ounces spaghetti pasta
1 pound thick-cut bacon or pancetta, chopped
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
*3 tablespoons butter (I like to add it for extra richness!)
1 cup red onion, diced
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
3 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup red wine (*I just leave it out b/c I don't keep any on hand & it tastes great w/o it)
4 tablespoons basil, chiffonade (*if you use dried basil, I would definitely use much less, maybe only 1 Tbsp... but I don't know why you'd want to do that ;)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a large stock pot, boil 3 quarts of water, when boiling add 2 tablespoons kosher salt and the pasta and cook until the pasta is al dente.In a large saute pan over medium heat, add bacon and saute until bacon is crispy. Remove bacon to drain on a paper towel-lined plate and remove 3/4 of the bacon fat from the pan.
Add extra-virgin olive oil, *butter, onions, and red chili flakes. Cook until onions are translucent, add garlic, cook for 2 minutes then add tomatoes. Saute for 5 minutes, then deglaze with wine.
Drain pasta and add to the tomato mixture pan. Add basil and bacon. Toss with Parmesan, and add salt and pepper, to taste.

Serves 4-5 as an entree

No comments: